When we look back on all the fun we had this summer, we want to relive our memories through photos, videos, and selfies. Unfortunately, our skin also keeps a scrapbook of all those trips we took to the pool or lake.
Too much time in the sun can eventually leave dark spots on our skin or brown spots on face. While in most cases this discoloration is harmless, these brown spots immediately age us, making us look older than we are. As summer begins winding down, now is the perfect time to talk with Dr. Kristen Jacobs at Ooh La La Spa, Anti-Aging & Wellness about the best treatments for brown spots on face—and keep them from becoming an unwanted souvenir on your next summer trip.
What causes discoloration and brown spots on face?
As we age, changing hormones lead to the excess production of melanin in the body. When overactive pigment cells are exposed to the sun, even more, melanin is produced to combat the damage caused by dangerous UV rays. Brown spots on face appear when these high concentrations of melanin fuse together.
Older individuals are more susceptible to brown spots, but they can appear at any age, especially on those with fair skin.
[av_video src=’https://youtu.be/ICC1Kin41Cw’ format=’16-9′ width=’16’ height=’9′]
How to erase brown spots on face with revitalizing skin products
Preventive and restorative skin care products can often diminish the signs of skin damage. For patients facing their first sunspots, Ooh La La offers the best treatments for sunspots on face. This includes a full line of dark spot correctors that can help lighten the skin and blur stubborn discoloration:
- Lytera® 2.0 Advanced Pigment Correcting Serum: Lytera 2.0 is an advanced Pigment Correcting Serum, formulated to address the appearance of stubborn skin discoloration. It is appropriate for all skin types and tones and improvements can be seen in as early as 2 weeks with progressively dramatic results at 12 weeks and beyond. It is hydroquinone and retinol-free, it is also paraben and fragrance-free plus it is non-comedogenic. SkinMedica® also offers Lytera 2.0 in a six-step skincare regimen for even better results. It includes its exfoliating cleanser, correcting serum and repairing sunscreen that fades the appearance of hyperpigmentation and prevents its reoccurrence.
- LUMIVIVE™: LUMIVIVE’s Day Damage Defense Serum protects your skin against blue light aggressors during the day while its Night Revitalize Repair Complex repairs damage as you sleep. The result—a more radiant, even skin tone within just 14 days.
- Even Up® Clinical Pigment Perfector® Sunscreen: This lightly tinted physical sunscreen, without harmful chemicals, features the Colorescience® LUMIRA® Skin Brightening Complex to diminish brown spots on face while the iron oxide-infused mineral perfector diffuses skin discoloration. Even Up can, and should, replace your make up because it is healthy for your skin. It is a 3 in 1 product that prevents, protects, and treats brown spots on face. Dr. Jacobs wears it every day as her makeup and says this is a MUST for everyone even if you don’t have brown spots.
Customized cosmetic procedures to reverse sun damage
After a lifetime of sun exposure, you may notice your brown spots are especially dark or have begun creeping across your face, chest, and hands. In these cases, a cosmetic procedure performed by the experts at Ooh La La can deliver better results over restorative products alone.
- SkinMedica chemical peels – Get a fresh, healthy glow and an even complexion with an exfoliating chemical peel. While peels are available in different strengths, SkinMedica’s Rejuvenize Peel™ penetrates deep into the epidermis to shed away the top layer of older skin and the pigment imperfections that come with it, leaving a healthier, more uniform appearance behind.
- Microneedling – The Eclipse MicroPen® creates tiny, painless punctures in the skin that trigger the body’s natural healing process. In response to these superficial wounds, the body increases the production of collagen, the building block of healthy skin. Cell turnover following a collagen induction therapy procedure produces younger skin free from dark spots and discoloration.
- Laser Genesis – In some cases, hyperpigmentation can be reduced with heat. Using targeted light, Laser Genesis therapy gently warms the upper dermis of the skin to promote collagen regrowth, open dilated capillaries to reduce redness, and resurface the skin for improved tone and texture. Completely non-invasive and virtually painless, Laser Genesis treatment is relaxing for most patients.
- LimeLight – The Cutera LimeLight skin rejuvenating facial is specifically designed to address dark spots, sun damage, and redness. LimeLight delivers a repeated pulse of light that heats up and destroys hyperpigmented skin cells. After one or two weeks, the dark spots flake off and discoloration begins to fade. LimeLight can be combined with chemical peels and microdermabrasion procedures for maximum results.
- Hydrafacial – Hydrafacial can improve a number of common skin concerns including age spots and hyperpigmentation, fine lines and wrinkles, dull dry and dehydrated skin, oily, congested skin and acne. There is absolutely no downtime with this treatment and you leave the spa feeling hydrated and refreshed!
Dark spot treatment in Edwardsville, Glen Carbon, and Maryville
Schedule a consultation with Dr. Kristen Jacobs at Ooh La La this fall, and by next summer, you can slip into your swimsuit without worrying about sunspots on your face, arms, and chest. Dr. Jacobs and her team will work one-on-one with you to determine the best treatment for your skin, whether it’s an at-home serum or in-office procedure, helping you get the even skin tone you desire or finding the best treatment for dark spots on face. To learn more, contact us at (618) 248-4212.